What’s the best time to post on Instagram? How frequently should I Tweet? What’s the Facebook, Twitter, Blog, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Instagram post time sweet spot? How about the frequency?
The real truth behind the best time to post on Instagram, Facebook and others
It’s important to realize, the pronouncements as to the “best” time to post on social media are not based on science. Social media is always “on”. The key is to find the right balance for you, your audience, and your content. Then mix it up. However, finding the right balance may not be easy, there are those who believe that the best postings times are counter-intuitive.
Step #1: Determine when the highest percentage of your social media audience tunes in – so when you share content, you’ll get maximum exposure. This infographic from KISSmetrics is dated, however, the concept of how to look at your audience remains relevant today.
Predict. Measure. Test. Repeat.
In reality, testing, testing, and more testing is your best tool for determining optimal post times. With this in mind, vary your times and make sure to track your analytics closely to determine your optimal posting schedule. Furthermore, the same holds true for post frequency. Equally, you need to predict and monitor the performance of your social media pages continuously. There are no definite formulas for us to adhere to when it comes to posting on social media channels. Consequently, everyone’s network dynamics, country, and industry are different. That is to say, unfortunately, there is no one size fits all model.
Deep dive into social networks: Fun facts and optimal post times and frequency
As promised above, here are some of the “Best” parts of the infographic from HubSpotBlogs post on When to Post on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn & Other Top Social Networks [Infographic]:
Best Time to Post on Instagram
Best Days to Post: Instagram engagement remains fairly consistent throughout the week with a slight spike on Mondays
Best Time to Post on Instagram: 2 am and 5 pm
Best Post Frequency: 5 times per day
Best Engagement Fact: From The Huffington Post, posting at 5 pm is an especially good time to engage people who have hopped on Instagram at the end of the workday and are procrastinating before they leave for the evening.
Best Time to Post on Facebook
Best Days to Post: Thursday and Friday
Best Time of Day to Post: Optimal time is early afternoon in the time zone with most of your audience
Best Post Frequency: Data from KISSmetrics indicates that .5 posts per day (1 post every two days) will achieve the most likes on Facebook
Best Quote: “The less people want to be at work, the more they are on Facebook!” – Buddy Media
Best Engagement Facts:
- 86% of posts are published during the work week with engagement peaking on Thursday and Friday
- Engagement rates fall 3.5% below average for posts published Monday through Wednesday
- For instance, the “Happiness Index” on Facebook spikes by 10% on Friday
Best Tool: Use Fanpage Karma to find the optimal time tailored to your audience
Best Time to Post on Twitter
Best Days to Tweet:
- B2B: Monday – Friday
- B2C: Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday
Best Time of Day to Tweet: 5 pm for highest retweets. 12 pm and 6 pm for highest CTR.
Best Tweet Frequency: According to Socialbakers, the magic number for Twitter is three tweets per day
Best Engagement Facts:
- According to Twitter, users are 181% more likely to be on Twitter during their commute
- Users are also 199% more likely to use Twitter during school or work hours
Best Tool: Use Followerwonk to find the optimal time tailored to your audience
Best Time to Post on LinkedIn
Best Days to Post: Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday
Best Time of Day to Post: Weekdays during business hours
Best Post Frequency: Per “LinkedIn Best Practices”, post at least 20 status updates per month to maximize reach to approximately 60% or more of our unique audience. The optimal posting frequency is the equivalent of one post per weekday.
Best Engagement Facts:
- 93% of B2B marketers rate LinkedIn as the top B2B social media lead generation source
- According to Fannit, the best times to post are 7 am – 8 am and 5 pm – 6 pm. The worst times are Monday and Friday for US based time zones.
Best Time to Post on Pinterest
Best Days to Pin: Saturday
Best Times of Day to Pin: 2 am – 4 am and 8 pm – 11 pm
Best Pin Frequency: 5 times per day
Best Engagement Facts: Directly from the Pinterest blog, here’s a look at the most popular categories on each day of the week:
- Monday: Good intentions in fitness (CrossFit is becoming a Pinner obsession, along with Paleo challenges and Tough Mudder Boot Camps)
- Tuesday: Gadgets are all the rage in technology
- Wednesday: Inspirational quotes to get you through the week
- Thursday: Threads lead Thursday with fashion
- Friday: GIFs bring comic relief to the end of the week with humor
- Saturday: Vacations are top of mind with travel (Recently popular: Hiking trails in Portland, museum crawls in DC, and summer road trips through Boston)
- Sunday: Sunday Funday with food and craft ideas